Sunday, April 10, 2011



Here we have a lovely trio of white magicians who dressed up as Indian magicians to perform magic in the early 20th century.  As you can see, the only thing they had in common was a turban, the iconic hat that I too will briefly don for my upcoming show. I don't know all the reasons that non-Indian people in the 19th and 20th century would dress up as Indians, but I am thinking and writing about it these days. You will note that Carter, as well as Houdini, and Jadugar Anand, did vanish an elephant in his show... I am starting to think that I should do some type of elephant vanish in my show as well. The theater is small, and Barnum's elephants are long dead, so it will be quite a feat... I will keep you posted as usual. The originals of these posters are available from Norm Nielsen. His website is the source for the small thumbnails that you see here. Someday when I am rich, I will buy some original posters from him, but for now, his reproductions along with original contemporary Indian magic posters are good enough for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment